In Honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month
31 Days of Demonstrating You Are IN IT TO END IT
Join the IN IT TO END IT CAMPAIGN – it's as simple as doing one, two or many of the 31 action items below. There's one for every day of the month of October – plus a link to click-to-tweet many of them!
Besides these 31 action items, check out our NBCAM tweets and Facebook updates that you can tweet and post.
Tell Your Friends
- If you're a breast cancer survivor, share your story on Facebook #BreastCancer #InItToEndIt
- Getting screened is just one of four steps to breast self-awareness. Do you know the other three? #BreastCancer #InItToEndIt http://clicktotweet.com/ZGQ0R
- Post a Breast Cancer Awareness Month update on your Facebook page – check here for posts for some suggested messages for your friends and family.
- If you're under 40: When was the last time you had a clinical breast exam? You should have one at least every three years starting at age 20. Schedule it now!
- Be aware of the warning signs of breast cancer. http://clicktotweet.com/46im2
- Talk to your family and find out if breast cancer runs in your family. If it does, talk with your doctor or medical provider about your risk. http://clicktotweet.com/pe15u
- Let people know how important Komen Greater NYC's mission to eradicate breast cancer is to you. Share this video with ten of your friends.
- Volunteer for Komen Greater NYC. We have lots of opportunities year-round.
- Take the breast health pledge.
Look After Your Breast Health
- Vow to eat healthier. If you're in menopause or post-menopausal, being overweight increases your risk of breast cancer. http://clicktotweet.com/Kbv7C
- Tell your mom, grandmother, sister, niece and daughter to make sure they've taken the breast health pledge. http://clicktotweet.com/y952Y
- Learn the four steps to breast self-awareness and share them with your friends. http://clicktotweet.com/1M490
- Komen Greater NYC recommends you get to know how your breasts look and feel. Do it often and report changes to your healthcare professional immediately. Find information about symptoms and breast screening at http://sgk.mn/RJfjFi
- Take a walk. Walking is great for your health and exercise reduces your risk of breast cancer. http://clicktotweet.com/lQ007
- Be the designated driver – go out with your friends and donate what you would have spent on drinks. Added bonus: It's good for your health! Limiting alcohol consumption reduces the risk of breast cancer. http://clicktotweet.com/BQ3x2
Support the Breasts
- Continue your Race fundraising! The Race is open until October 31 so let's run breast cancer out of town!
- On October 13th, take a 90-minute Zumba class taught by masters to support Komen Greater NYC. Details and ticket sales...
- Share your Race photos on our Facebook page. Watch this video for inspiration.
- Tweet @KomenGreaterNYC your favorite inspirational quote.
- Host a bake sale at your school or office send the proceeds to Komen Greater NYC — one in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime so we need your support.
- Host a bowling event. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for information on Bowl for the Cure®.
- Promote Breast Cancer Awareness Month to your Facebook friends and ask them to donate a small amount ($5, $10) to Komen Greater NYC to beat breast cancer!
- Host a Jeans Day at your office during Breast Cancer Awareness Month — collect a donation of $5 or $10 (or more if you can) for those who participate and send the proceeds to Komen Greater NYC.
- Collect funds in your company cafeteria — set up donation boxes at the registers to collect the spare change and send the proceeds to Komen Greater NYC.
- Host a "lunch and learn" at your business with help and speakers (a Komen Greater NYC grantee, medical speaker, breast cancer survivor) from Komen Greater NYC. Email Michelle for more information.
- Organize Pink Night at your spin class and have all proceeds benefit Komen Greater NYC.
- Old car taking up room in your driveway? Donate it to Komen Greater NYC.
- Shop for a good cause! Have a look at all the fabulous Komen pink products.
- Tweet "Thank You @DuaneReade" for their support of Komen Greater NYC and the Race.
- Gather your friends together on a Friday evening dressed in your best pink attire (shirts, ties, blouses, dresses, etc.) for an evening of "pink treats" — you define the treats! — ask each guest to contribute $25 and send the proceeds to Komen Greater NYC. Don't forget to share your pictures of your good time on our Facebook page.
- Are you #InItToEndIt? Tell us for whom — tweet us @KomenGreaterNYC.